Tired of the heat wave, scorching sun and sweat already? We bring to you desi food and drink items that are a must try!
- Curd A staple food item in every Indian household, curd has cooling properties and can be eaten in various forms like buttermilk, curd rice etc. Ditch the packaged curd from your grocery store and switch back to the homemade curd which is great in probiotics making it easy for digestion and is low in calories too!
- Mint Leaves Mint is a summer must-have and can add a refreshing and delightful taste to anything you add to. Have it in your raitas, chutneys or drinks and it instantly sets almost all the dishes right. It is loaded with antioxidants and phytonutrients. It has anti septic and antibacterial properties that aids in digestion and can cure and upset stomach.
- Bael Fruit This superfood is nearly forgotten by the younger generation. Also called Wood Apple, this Bael fruit has immense uses. It is highly nutritious and rich in calcium, proteins, phosphorus, iron and fibre. This can be eaten just as a fruit but it tastes yummy when taken as a juice.
- Gulkand Gulkand is listed as one of the best ayurvedic medicines. Where do you buy gulkand? This wonderful sweet preserve is commonly found in pan stalls It can prevent acidity and indigestion and treats all heat related problems such as tiredness, itching, lethargy, aches and pains.
- Khus Sharbat Khus is a rich source of iron, manganese and B6 vitamins which boosts blood circulation. Khus sharbat is a good source of antioxidants and prevents dehydration. It is a diuretic that has cooling properties.
- Kokum This is a small purple coloured fruit and tastes like tamarind. It is rich in Vitamin C and acts as an antioxidant. A glass of Kokum juice does wonders to your body by preventing dehydration and loss of nutrients. It also cleans your blood and helps in improving your appetite.
- Coconut Water This low caloric drink is high in potassium, calcium and magnesium. It is also rich in antioxidants that help neutralize oxidative stress and free radicals created by exercise. No wonder this makes coconut water a great sports drink!
- Sattu This desi power food is especially used in rural areas to cool down the body. ‘Sattu ka Atta’ or ‘Sattu ka Paani’ is high in nutrients and great for digestion. Sattu is also known to beat lifestyle diseases.
- Basil Seeds Commonly known as Sabja, these seeds are high in fibre and help in weight loss. Sabja water can help in reducing body heat. They also lower blood sugar level, relieves constipation and bloating. They also treat acidity and heartburn. Basil seeds are tasteless and can be had in water, milk or lemonade.
- Nimbu Paani and Aam Panna Did you know unripe mango or Kachhi Kairi protect us from heat strokes? Have mangoes in any form you wish to aam panna, mango chutney, murabbas or pickles. Nimbu Paani or lime water is a thirst quencher and a refreshing drink to have in summers. Add a pinch of kaala namak, jeera powder and some sugar to the lime water and you will be ready to go out in the sun!
Besides these it is essential to have all fruits with high levels of water content like watermelons, musk melons and litchis.
We welcome you to add any recipe made out of these food items and share it in the comments section. The most liked recipe will be our ‘Recipe of the Month’.